Friday, July 10, 2015

Journal entry for Jay Alspaugh first year bow hunter Pt.2

Journal entry for Jay Alspaugh first year bow hunter


  I did the next best thing, sent a broadhead into my target bag. I then found out that my target was stuffed with strips of cloth. I then found out I had to get some new parts for the mechanical broadhead. It was a learning experience for me and now I know the size of the hole it will make. I felt like I was ready to go hunting, I had the practice and the equipment. I went a few times early in the season I would ask others the most important question, “How do you know when the rut is in full swing”? The short of the long answer is when you cover yourself in doe urine and a randy buck sniffs you out. That will be my response to anyone who might ask me the same question. Then of course you have to get out into the woods as many times as you can, covered in doe “scent” to figure out for yourself if the rut is now. As a gun hunter we would use cover scent and be as quiet as possible in the woods. With the rut, you are out there smashing antlers together and buzzing a grunt call. Completely different landscape then gun week. I liked the potential interaction and not just sitting still moving only my eyes left to right. After a few weeks and seeing a few deer and taking one shot at doe I probably learned more in those weeks then I will over the next couple of years. The big take away for me that when I was practicing for months in the summer not one time did I shoot with my gloves on or any of my other hunting gear. See the two pictures, I am man enough to admit my mistakes.
Now I am out at the practice range wearing what I think I will have on out in the woods. The bow is not your only piece of equipment you need to work with, you clothing, boots, gloves, hats, bags and knife are all essential components. You need to know how things work and work together in the environment. The 2014-15 hunting season I was extremely blessed with mentors and friends that provided patient guidance and loving correction. I was able to harvest my first buck with a bow in early November. I think my family, friends and mentors were just as excited as I was! I am looking forward to the 2015-16 hunt. This buck put about 60lbs of free range meat in my family’s freezer. My family enjoyed the “wild” meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment